Thursday, April 3, 2008

Big news tomorrow on "Today!"

We interrupt this political blog for some very important news:

The New Kids on the Block are back!

The New Kids on the Block are back!!

The New Kids on the Block are BACK!!!!!!!

What can I say?? As a 30-year-old former card-carrying member of the New Kids on the Block Fan Club, I would be betraying my past if I wasn't drunk with celebratory glee. After all, between my sister and me, a lot of my parents' money went toward all manner of New Kids paraphernalia: T-shirts, tapes (yes, tapes), keychains, jackets, an endless supply of Bop and other teenybopper magazines (we tore the pages out of them and made them into "wallpaper" for our rooms, like this:) ...

... And then there was that time we literally slept in an alley behind a record store in a sketchy part of town to be in line for concert tickets the next morning.

True story.

I'll be tuned in at 7 a.m. EST tomorrow as the New Kids mark the 20th anniversary of their multiplatinum album "Hangin' Tough" by announcing their reunion, a new CD, a summer TV series and a fall tour. I've already been talking with my sister and another one of our friends about tickets. I have to admit that I have also spent some time today on YouTube watching those cheesy old videos.

You know what? It put a smile on my face. And I'm old enough that I don't care what people think about it.

And I'm not alone: Fan sites are already crawling with adult women, just like me, who are acting like they are 12 years old again, beside themselves with excitement and who just can't wait until tomorrow morning.

Welcome back, New Kids on the Block!! Your fans have spent these 14 years Hangin' Tough. :)