Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Delegate math

CNN's John King has just explained that neither Clinton nor Obama can wrap up the nomination with pledged delegates, even if each wasto run the table with large-margin victories. The point was to show that superdelegates will have a role in determining the nomination. Gloria Borger (my favorite pundit) pointed out that the Clinton campaign may very well "pivot" and make this fight less about delegates and more about popular votes, in contrast to a couple of weeks ago when it was all about the delegates when Obama was winning in popular vote.

(Incidentally, I'd like to point out that there's nothing requiring regular delegates to vote for their pledged candidate at the Democratic
National Convention. In effect, they are all "superdelegates." For more, click here.)

"Superdelegates are politicians; they are not kamikaze pilots," Borger said, explaining the delicate process by which superdelegates will decide their votes -- perhaps based more on nuance and local factors than on the national pressure that will be brought to bear upon them.

That is why I love Gloria Borger.

My husband just asked me, "Where is your 'I heart Gloria Borger' shirt?"

"I don't know," I told him, "but I should be wearing it."

Also, the first numbers are in from Texas, and they look good for Obama -- although it's early -- and Huckabee is pulling 37 percent in early returns.