Sunday, February 24, 2008

"The best person in the world"

There was a time in my life when I believed that voting should be compulsory in our country. Regular readers of my column know how I feel about the responsibility of Americans to participate in their government.

But I no longer believe in compulsory voting -- and it's because I feel the way I do about the responsibility of Americans to participate in their government.

I know; that doesn't sound like it makes much sense, right? Well, check out this link posted by my celebrity-expert friend, Amy.

Check out that video, then ask yourself: Are you comfortable with the idea that that girl could be making an impact on national security, tax policy, health care coverage, immigration reform and a whole host of other issues facing the United States?

I've come to realize that although every American should care about their country the way this girl cares about Paris Hilton, that isn't going to happen ... so we should just cross our fingers and hope that she's too busy watching "The Hottie and the Nottie" to make it to the polls on Election Day.