Thursday, February 21, 2008

Round 8: Are you saying Obama is not prepared to be president?

Clinton says, basically, yes. Now she is back to health care.

Everyone agrees that she is the world's greatest policy wonk in health care. But again, you reach a point of diminishing returns. It isn't like people don't know about the differences between the candidates on health care.

Obama falls into the trap. Is it a substantive difference or a philosophical difference with regard to health care? Now we're back to talking about the Massachusetts model.

Ugh, I'm starting to glaze over. Come on, guys, let's move on.

Clinton comes back about health care. "I just fundamentally disagree." She's reminding me of Demi Moore's character in "A Few Good Men:"

"I object!'
"Overruled."
"The defense STRENUOUSLY objects!"
"... I strenuously object? Is that how it works? 'Objection.' 'Overruled.' 'No, no, no, no, I strenuously object.' 'Oh, well, if you strenuously object, let me take a moment to reconsider!'"

Finally, back to the question, Clinton mentions the unrest in Serbia and the attack on the American Embassy in Belgrade tonight. She says she would hold the Serbian government accountable for the protection of the embassy. (How, exactly?)

Obama says he wouldn't be running for president if he wasn't ready to be commander-in-chief. He hits Clinton again on the Iraq war authorization. Obama says he's shown the judgment necessary to lead.

Round 8 is a draw. I refuse to award it to either of them for wasting so much time on health care. But Obama did a good job in defending himself.